Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hillery's Chippy Paint Chalkboard

OK so chippy paint chalkboard was sooo easy! I found the idea on Pinterest:(http://makethebestofthings.blogspot.com/2011/08/cheap-elmers-glue-crackle-chalkboards.html) and I had been looking for something to do with some old kitchen cabinets that I found in the attic leftover from the people who lived here before. They were cabinets that didn't have fixtures on them and were oak with  a finished surface.

I sprayed the the front and back of the cabinet with MATTE BLACK spray paint.  I let it dry between coats only about 5 minutes.  I used 3 coats but you could still see the ridges from the wood through it. The website I found this on didn't say anything about sanding the cabinets, but that would have helped, and if I do it again I will sand them smooth first. Maybe using actual paint instead of spray paint makes a difference.

Then all around the edge and about 2 inches in (the "frame" edge of the cabinet), I rubbed a THICK coat of Elmer's school glue with my fingers.

Black matte spray paint and glue

Once that becomes tacky (about 1-2 mins) I rubbed white ACRYLIC paint over it with my fingers. It took about 2-3 minutes for it to start to dry and that is when it cracks!  I did put a rather heavy coat of white paint so the chippy look is big and deep, the less white paint and Elmer's glue you use the smaller the chips and the shallower the cracks.

Close up of chippy paint section

Best tip on this craft is knowing you can use matte black paint as a chalkboard - no need to invest in the branded, specialty "Chalkboard Paint".

Done!

I have this sitting in the corner on my kitchen counter.   use regular chalk and wash it all the time and it has held up GREAT!!!! This made me want to CHIPPY PAINT EVERYTHING. I have some picture frames I want to try next using different colors and make a wall mural with them.

Supplies:
Kitchen cabinet
Matte black spray paint
Elmer's glue
Chalk

Difficulty: 1/5
Time: 1/5
Cost: 1/5
Satisfaction: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment